3.28.2011

So much to be thankful for!

This past weekend three of our students slept over at our house. It was a lot of fun. We introduced them to UNO, they picked it up really quickly and they loved to play! They were quite intrigued by David's new old school lawn mower, (you know one of those push mowers with the blades) and they took turns using it. It was funny, and we got some of our weeds cut down :)
We enjoyed dinner around the table, like a family. It was nice to sit and hear about them each personally. It is so easy to get caught up with 108 kids at school and miss out on each kid's individual story. One of the girls that came is quiet at school, she takes a really long time to warm up to anyone. We think this weekend was a great step for her, and we had the opportunity to build her trust in us.
We watched The Princess and the Frog, and then it was time to go to sleep. It was fun to lay in bed and listen to them giggle and whisper. I remember those days!

On Sunday we all went off to church. The sermon was fantastic. It was about what is means to be the church. It was so uplifting and challenging at the same time. The preacher challenged us to "first seek the Kingdom of God." I think we easily let other things get in the way, I think I really needed to hear it! They also baptized two people, it always makes me cry when I witness someone becoming a Christian, it is such a celebration! After church we had a discussion with the girls about the difference between confirmation and baptism. They had some great questions and listened eagerly!

After that we were off to the park to play soccer and frisbee, these kids can run! As I have mentioned before I have been working out each day, so I was able to keep up with them, but we were exhausted when the day was over!

# 36 I am thankful for the overwhelming response to my last post on here. I was comforted by the comments and kind words, the emails and the verses given to me. This week I learned that somehow we are never alone. I have felt so much love this past week, I wish I could give you all a bug hug, and I am not a hugger!
A friend responded with a verse:
"I would have lost heart,unless I had believed.That I would see the goodness in the Lord, in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord;be of good courage;and He will strengthen your heart. Wait, I say, on the Lord." Psalm 27:13-14
I feel like a cloud has been lifted and I have had a smile on my face all weekend. Thank you all!

#37 We have a visitor from the US coming in a few weeks. Mark is the leader of our mission team back in Colorado, and he is a missionary himself. He is coming out just to check up on us, and to evaluate how our year has been. And, he has graciously said we can use his second piece of luggage, so we have been buying things on-line to ship to David's parent's house we also gave them a ridiculous shopping list. So in a few weeks we will have fudge-rounds, oatmeal cream pies, board games, and even bigger smiles on our faces. So I am thankful for all this fun stuff, but mostly for someone who cares so much about us, and about what we are doing here that he is flying out to check up on us. Let me tell you people, the journey is not am easy one! Thanks Mark!

#38 I also was to specially thank David's parents for doing all that shopping, and for packing and repacking to make sure that everything fits. It really will be like Christmas morning!

#39 My mom is making a great recovery. Thanks to all who sent messages, and who prayed and who asked about her. You warmed my heart.

#40 Our health. We have had a rough couple of weeks. David is still getting over whooping cough. But, we live in a place that has some of the highest infection rates for HIV and TB. We are blessed to be healthy enough to do what we are doing, and to not fear that our lives will be prematurely ended by diseases. So today, I am thankful for our health.

#41 Three special little girls that brought light into our weekend. I loved having the kids around. When we got up on Sunday morning to three kids in our home, it just felt right. I think we may be having more sleepovers in the future :)

#42 Sugar-free Ice cream.

#43 All Nations Church. On Sunday as we were leaving, one of the leaders asked David to be part of a team of guys who will be designing and building a 25ft climbing wall for their youth ministry. This is right up David's alley. Also they sang a song about joy coming in the morning. It was a good day.

#44 The cello player in church. Our church has a cello in the band. It is so beautiful.

#45 Composition class. So as most of you know, our grade five teacher had to leave the country. He is now in South Africa awaiting word on his visa. In the meantime I am taking over teaching the grade five composition class. Can I just say I loved creative writing when I was in school. I feel like I am about to burst with ideas. Please pray that the kids will catch some of this excitement!

2 comments:

fingerprints said...

#38 :)

JD

thrasherswife said...

I love your list. And I highly admire your calling. And your sacrifice. And your dedication. As a sister in Christ who sits comfortably in her home state, I thank you for hearing and following the Lords call at whatever the cost.